Saturday, December 28, 2013

Top Five 2013 (part 1)



Thanks to Gillian at Crafting a Rainbow for hosting this Top Five of 2013. This a reflective time of year.

Here are the"rules":
Basically, between now and the new year, think back over the year and blog Top 5 lists about the following five topics: 
  • Top 5 Hits: Favourite Creations, most worn or most loved
  • Top 5 Misses: Sewing Fails, UFOs, worn once, or complete disasters
  • Top 5 Reflections: What did you learn about yourself or sewing this year? 
  • Top 5 Inspirations: What books, people, blogs, trends etc motivated you this year?
  • Top 5 Goals for the New Year
Today the top 5 hits and the top 5 misses

The hits




1. Grainline Moss skirt. I love this skirt and have lived in it since I finished it in late summer. For winter I wear it with black tights and boots.



2. Mathilde blouse. A very practical blouse, especially as I made it in white, so goes with basically everything in my wardrobe.


3. The Hedera socks I knitted by Cookie A.



4. Colette Patterns, Beignet skirt was a great skirt to sew. I had picked up the striped fabric in England last summer. I was very proud of my stripe matching efforts!



5. Portrait blouse from Gertie's New Book For Better Sewing. An easy blouse I find my
Self wearing time and again.


Honourable mentions to the following 2 dresses:
Birthday Party dress. Butterick 8852


Burda 8072



The misses

1. Fall Essentials Sew Along, hosted by Rhinestones and Telephones. I had the fabric, the patterns and then life got in the way and only one item got sewn, the Thurlow trousers.

2.Thurlow trousers. I don't know what it is, maybe my fabric choice, navy blue twill, but these trousers are not for me. As always with Sewaholic patterns, it was a well written pattern, but as I said, not me!



3. The Japanese Coat book. Some great blogs out there who have tackled this book with stunning results. But I think with a general lack of time to sew, I need clear and precise instructions in English! Not a total miss though as I bought the new Walden (Colette) pattern, Albion, (Thanksgiving sale!!) and have recut the Japanese coat I was attempting and so far so good!



4. The Sewaholic Robson coat. This is just a UFO and I can't wait to get this finished for Spring 2014! I bought the grey fabric in Seattle so the coat will remind me of my trip out West.

5. Another UFO (actually a group of UFOs). Undies. I have two bras, two pairs of panties and five pairs of men's boxers, all cut and ready to go and they keep getting put aside for other projects. I have no idea why!

5 comments:

  1. I especially love your Beignet skirt. The fabric choice was spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wins are all gorgeous - maybe coats are just not your thing right now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your moss mini - mine was one of my hits as well - such a cool pattern!

    Louise
    notsewsimple.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Mathilde blouse is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Beignet skirt - nice stripe matching!

    ReplyDelete